Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates 04/04/2019 to 04/15/2019This job will close when we have received 50 applications which may be sooner than the closing date.
Pay scale & grade
$56,233 to $73,105 per year
Full-Time – Full Time
The position is located in the Legislation and General Law Division of the Office of Chief Counsel. You will serve as a Legal Assistant providing administrative and secretarial support to the Assistant Chief Counsel and attorneys and information specialists in a 12-member division.
The Legal Assistant:
- Personally handles to completion a wide variety of administrative tasks, making necessary contacts and performing necessary coordination. Prepares and submits requests for personnel action of all types and training requests and follows up on pending requests.
- Fields a broad range of questions, generally by telephone, regarding the work performed by the division. Determines which questions should be directed to the Chief Counsel or an ACC, which should be directed to the legal staff or to another office, and which can be handled by the incumbent personally.
- Schedules appointments and ensures that the ACC is informed of matters to be considered before the scheduled meetings. Makes necessary arrangements for conferences and assembles background materials for the ACC. Makes all necessary travel arrangements for the ACC and other division attorneys.
- Maintains office files on all matters related to the work of the Division, reviewing and updating such records periodically on the incumbent’s own initiative. Performs research for the ACC to locate records. Obtains the necessary information from these records.
- Maintains the tracking system for actions related to the Division’s activities, legal opinions, and interpretations. Serves as the key source of information concerning the state of actions and the availability of official documents to authorized individuals.
- Maintains control over numerous steps involved in the preparation, review, and approval of Federal Register notices concerning NHTSA highway safety grant programs. Assist attorneys by compiling basic materials for use in preparing rulemaking documents.
- Ensures that all administrative and procedural instructions are available to Division members. Regularly reviews directions and instructional material about administrative practices and clerical procedures to become aware of new, revised, or amended procedures.
We are seeking a highly qualified individual who is willing to meet the challenges of public service and support our mission. The NHTSA is looking for someone who is highly motivated, and who can communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at all levels of the organization. This position is perfect for a new professional looking to grow with a great Federal agency.
Job family (Series)
0986 Legal Assistance